Under the eye of power : how fear of secret societies shapes American democracy / Colin Dickey.
- ISBN: 9780593299456
- Physical Description: 353 pages ; 24 cm
- Publisher: [New York, N.Y.] : Viking, 
- Copyright: ©2023
- Bibliography, etc.: Includes bibliographical references (pages -353).
- Formatted Contents: Introduction: The paranoid republic -- Part One: As above, so below -- The arch and the cenotaph -- The craft -- The dreadful fire -- "There is something earnest in all this, but the object is concealed" -- Part Two: Deep-laid schemes -- Mysteries of iniquity -- "Do not open your lips" -- In the convent's crypt -- Fresh from the loins of the people -- A piece of machinery, so to speak -- The mystic red -- Part Three: National indigestion -- Abraham Lincoln's secret confidant -- The man who threw the bomb -- A matter of trusts -- The world's enigma -- The (in)visible empire -- Part Four: Wonders of the invisible world -- Subliminals -- Truth drugs -- Purity of essence -- Beware the Siberian beetle -- Part five: Behind the hieroglyphic streets -- Networks -- The suburban uncanny -- Attack of the lizard people! -- The banality of evil -- Nothing is true, everything is permitted -- Epilogue: Citizens' commissions.
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Secret societies > United States > History.
Conspiracy theories > United States > History.
United States > History.
- 1 of 2 copies available at Consortium of Ohio Libraries. (Show)
- 0 of 1 copy available at Community Library (Sunbury).
- 0 current holds with 2 total copies.