Thanksgiving : the holiday at the heart of the American experience / Melanie Kirkpatrick.
We all know the story of Thanksgiving ... or do we? Kirkpatrick journeys through four centuries of history, drawing on newspaper accounts, private correspondence, historical documents, and cookbooks, to bring to life the full history of the holiday and what it has meant to generations of Americans. Did you know Washington proclaimed our first Thanksgiving as a nation amid controversy about his Constitutional power to do so, and New England Indians boycott Thanksgiving as a Day of Mourning. You'll also discover the history of Thanksgiving football and, of course, Thanksgiving dinner.
- ISBN: 9781594038938
- Physical Description: xvi, 279 pages : color illustrations ; 21 cm.
- Edition: First American Edition.
- Publisher: New York : Encounter Books, 2016.
|Formatted Contents Note:|
Search for related items by subject
|Subject:||Thanksgiving Day > History.
Holidays > United States > History.
|Genre:||United States > Social life and customs.
- 0 of 1 copy available at Consortium of Ohio Libraries. (Show)
- 0 of 1 copy available at Community Library (Sunbury).
- 0 current holds with 1 total copy.